Community Development

The Community Development vision is to promote a high quality of life to the community. It is responsible for overseeing the growth and development of Vineyard City, while enhancing the quality of life for citizens. It is composed of the following divisions: 

Planning and Zoning  

Business Licensing 

Economic Development 

Neighborhood Services 

Accessory Dwelling Units – ADU
Are ADU's allowed in Vineyard?
Yes, they are allowed in Vineyard if they meet the requirements listed in VZC 15.34.060.   
Where are they allowed?
  • As a detached structure with at least 12,000 square foot lot 
  • Within a home provided the lot is at least 5,200 square feet and meets all applicable building and fire codes.  
  • Mobile homes, travel trailers, boats, or similar RVs are not permitted as an ADU.  
What about parking?
single-family dwelling with an accessory dwelling unit shall provide a minimum of five (5) onsite parking spaces located on a paved surface or approved driveway. Only driveways or parking pads containing a minimum length of eighteen feet (18’) may be counted toward required onsite parking. The minimum length of a driveway counting toward onsite parking shall not include any land associated with street rights-of-way, sidewalks or public property/access. All onsite parking spaces shall contain a minimum width of eight feet (8’). Property owner parking shall not be parked tandem with tenant parking and tenant parking shall not be parked tandem with owner parking. The area dedicated to onsite parking and driveway surfaces shall be limited in compliance with VZC Section 15.38.030(2)(b). 
How many people can live in an ADU?
One family or up to four unrelated individuals may reside in an ADU.  
How to apply?

Visit our applications page

Either click on “register account” or “Sign into existing account” depending on if you have an account with City Inspect.

  • Once you are signed into City Inspect, click on the “Business Licenses” module.
  • In the top right corner, right below your name and the “Business Licenses” tab, there is a link that says, “Apply for a new license”, click on that.
  • Select “New Application”
  • Fill out the application
    • Application Date: Today’s date
    • Expiration Date: Today’s date
    • Permit Type: Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)
    • Category: Rentals
    • Business Name: Whatever name you decide for the business
    • Business Phone: Your phone number
    • Business Email: Your email address
    • Display Name: Owner
    • Is this a residence: Yes
    • Site Address: Your address
  • Skip the rest of the information and click “continue” at the bottom of the page.
  • On the “License Info” page, change Located in a Residence to “yes” then click “continue”.
  • For the “License Files” page, we need you to upload two documents.
    • Parking Plan: This will show us that you have 2 designated parking spots for the ADU on your property. These two spots cannot park tandem with the property owner. You could upload a picture of your drive way and explain which section belongs to the tenets or upload a drawing with measurements.
    • Floor Layout: This layout will show us what exactly is the ADU in your house. We need to see exactly what the current floorplan is. We also need it to indicate your total square footage for the ADU.
  • Once you upload those, you can click on “Submit License”.
  • We will then review your documents.
  • We will contact you about the payment needed for the license and inspection ($100)
  • Once paid, we will schedule a time to inspect the ADU for accuracy.
  • If passed, our office will email you your business license.
  • If failed, any corrections will need to be made to the ADU and a new inspection will be completed


When you fill out the application, you have a couple of options for the business name:


    1. Your legal name with nothing else added.  IF you use your legal name only, then you do not need to register a business name with the state.  OR:
    2. A business name, which you will first need to register with the state of Utah Department of Commerce’s OneStop Business Registration website.  This will reserve your business name and register your business as a legal entity in the state of Utah.  You will be issued a business entity number, which you will include on the city business license application.  To register your business name, go to:


After submitting the online application, these are the two things that you will also need to do before your ADU Business License can be issued.


    1. ADU inspection - Schedule and pass an inspection with Planning and Zoning Department by contacting Rachel Stevens by email ( ) or phone (at the number below and select option 2 for Planning and Zoning). 


    1. Fee - The initial fee for the ADU business license  is $100.  You may pay with either cash or check, or pay with a credit card.  We are charged a 3% fee for credit card payments, which we pass along to you, making the total $103. If you wish to pay with a credit card, just let me or Cache know and we will email you a secure payment link.


Once I receive fee payment and Planning/Zoning advises me that the ADU has passed the inspection, I will issue the ADU Business License.

Every two years you will need to renew this license, at which time a $50 renewal fee will be due and you will need to schedule an inspection with the Planning Technician/Code Enforcement Officer.  After the inspection is approved, I will renew the license.

If you would like more information about ADU zoning regulations, please see the Accessory Dwelling Units section of the Vineyard  Zoning Code, and call the Planning and Zoning Department with any questions.



What are the height requirements for fencing?
No fence, wall, or similar structure can be erected on any required rear or side yard to a height in excess of six (6) feet. Additionally, fences located on the front property line or on the side property line within the front yard cannot be higher than forty-two (42) inches (Section 1623)
How should my fencing be designed?
All walls and fences are to be compatible with the surrounding landscape and the architecture and building materials of buildings on and adjacent to the property (Section 1623)
What fencing restrictions apply to corner lots?
In all Zoning Districts, no view obstruction, including a sight-obscuring fence, wall, sign, other similar structures, and landscaping which exceeds two (2) feet in height can be placed on any corner lot within a triangular area formed by a diagonal line connecting lines located at the curb line thirty (30) feet from the projected intersection of such curb lines (Section 1628)
What fencing restriction apply to driveways?
In all Zoning Districts, no view obstruction, including a sight-obscuring fence, wall, sign, other similar structures, and landscaping which exceeds two (2) feet in height can be placed within a triangular area formed by a diagonal line connecting lines located at the curb line and driveway line twelve (12) feet from the projected intersection of such lines (Section 1629)
What are the fencing requirements for a pool?
If your swimming pool is more than eighteen (18) inches deep, then you must have a protective fence that is no less than four (4) feet six (6) inches tall surrounding it (Section 1716).
• Additionally, All outdoor jacuzzi tubs, or other similar small pools, may be protected by a solid locking cover in place of a protective fence,However, if you do not have a solid locking cover, a protective fence must be used instead (Section 1716).
Pet and Animal Requirements
What is considered a household pet
A household pet includes domesticated animals and birds ordinarily allowed in a dwelling unit and kept for company or pleasure of the owner, including, but not limited to dogs, cats, and caged birds. Household pets do not include domestic livestock or fowl, as defined herein or inherently or potentially dangerous animals, fowl, reptiles or exotic animals 
How many pets may I own
For any given household, there may be up to four (4) dogs or cats, or combination thereof (Section 5-2-22)
What should I know if I want to raise livestock or fowl?
No domestic livestock or domestic fowl shall be kept on any lot that is less than one (1) acre, and may be allowed as a permitted use in the A-1 and R&A-5 zoning districts (Section 1712).
The number of livestock or domestic fowl that may be kept where the area is used exclusively for the keeping of domestic livestock or fowl is one (1) acre, shall be as follows:
  • Limited to a maximum of one (1) domestic animal per acre (Section 1712). 
  • Fowl may be kept on lots equal to, or larger than one (1) acre, provided the number of fowl maintained does not exceed twenty-five (25) fowl for each acre (Section 1712).
  • Domestic livestock, fowl, and other animals, but excluding all prohibited animals, may be kept on lots of five (5) acres or larger without restriction on the number of domestic livestock or animals kept (Section 1712)
What are the requirements for maintaining livestock and fowl?
No barn, stable, shelter, corral, coop, pen, or run in which domestic livestock or fowl are maintained shall be closer than one hundred (100) feet to any residential structure located on adjacent lots (Section 1712).
  • All yards, barns, shelters, cages, areas, places, and premises where domestic livestock, animals, or fowl are kept shall be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition so that flies, dust, or odors do not disturb the health of any person or animal or create a nuisance to any adjoining property (Section 1712).
  • Additionally, all household pets shall be kept in such a manner that they do not disturb the peace, comfort, or health of any person or animal (Section 1711). 
Building Height & Setbacks
How is building height measured?
Building height is measured from the top of the back of curb to the highest point of the building or structure.
How high can I build my house?
No primary building within any district can be built to a height less than one (1) story entirely above grade. Additionally, no primary building within a residential district can be built above thirty-five (35) feet (Section 606)
How are setbacks determined?
A setback is the required distance by which a building or part of a building is set back from the property line, and is measured from the property line to where the building begins. Often, there are required setbacks from the sides, front, and rear of the property line. Setbacks vary based on zoning district, and can be found in the table in Section 606 of the Zoning Ordinance.
Are there any exceptions that are made for objects obstructing setback areas?
All required setback areas shall be open to the sky and unobstructed except for permitted and approved accessory buildings and structures, and for projections of sills, unenclosed steps, unwalled stoops, bay-windows, unenclosed porches and similar building features, provided that such features do not encroach more than three (3) feet into the required setback area (Section 1622).

• Additionally, walls and fences are permitted, so long as they comply with the requirements of Section 1622 and required approval by a Land Use Authority
Cul-de-sacs Frontage
What is the required lot frontage for a lot fronting a cul-de-sac?
For lots which front upon a curve or cul-de-sac, the lot frontage may be reduced to not less 
than fifty (50) feet (Section 1618). Lot frontage is all the property fronting on one (1) side of the 
street between intersecting or intercepting streets, measured along the street line 
How does lot frontage differ from lot width?
Lot width is the shorter of horizontal distance between side lot lines, measured at the required front yard setback line or rear setback line (Definitions - Lot Width). Additionally, lot width conforms to the setback of the lot frontage (Refer to graphic below)
Accessory Buildings
What is an accessory building?
An accessory building is a building customarily incidental and clearly subordinate to the primary building and located on the same lot as the primary 
• Accessory building and accessory uses can only be authorized concurrently with, or following, the establishment of the primary building or primary use (Section 1703).
Where can I build an accessory building?
Accessory buildings are only permitted within the rear yard of an established lot (Section 1703). 
  • The required setbacks for accessory buildings are three (3) feet from the sides and rear of the property line, and six (6) feet minimum distance from the primary building. Accessory buildings are limited to a maximum of twenty five (25) feet in height, but the side and rear setbacks must increase one (1) foot for every foot above fifteen (15) feet in height (Section 606)
Am I allowed to live in an accessory building?
No accessory building can be used as a permanent dwelling unit, except as allowed for accessory dwelling units (Section 1703)
Is there anything else I need to know about  accessory buildings?
No mobile home, travel trailer, boat, or similar recreational vehicle is permitted to be used as an accessory building (Section 1703).
  • Additionally, no shipping container, cargo container, shipping crate, box, trailer, or similar moveable piece of equipment or object is permitted to be used as an accessory building (Section 1703).
  • No accessory buildings can be rented, leased, or sold separately from the rental, lease, or sale of the primary building, except as allowed for accessory dwelling units (Section 1703)