Business License FAQ

Business Licensing
Who needs to obtain a Vineyard Business License?

If someone is operating a business within the city limits, they are required to obtain a Vineyard Business License.  This includes home-based businesses.  The Vineyard Municipal Code Section 5.02.020 states:

5.02.020 Business License Required
It shall be a class B misdemeanor for any person to transact, engage in or carry on any business, trade, profession, calling or to operate a vending, pinball or coin-operated machine without first receiving the class or type of license required by the municipality.

Why are business licenses required?

Business licensing serves a real purpose in our community. Before the City issues a business license, the business must show that they are registered with the Utah Department of Commerce and have obtained any required county, state, or federal permits or licenses.  They also must have received approval from the Vineyard planning, fire, and building departments. 

Business licenses are required by law because they enable the city to:

  • Ensure public safety by enforcing building and fire codes
  • Verify that businesses are in compliance with the Vineyard Zoning Code and other laws and ordinances, such as state or county inspection requirements 
  • Collect its portion of sales tax revenue from the Utah State Tax Commission
  • Maintain a list of currently licensed businesses for public access
I have a business in my home. How do I know if I need a business license?
By law, all businesses, including home-based businesses, are required to have a business license. (The exception is that a business operated only occasionally by a person under the age of 18 is not required to have a license.) Please call the City office or visit the Business Licensing page.
What is the fee for a home-based business license?
Home offices with no impact on the neighborhood are not charged a fee for their license. See the Business License Application Portal for details. For other types of home-based businesses, the initial fee is $50 with an annual renewal fee of $25.
How long does it take to process a business license?
This depends on many factors, but some home offices take less than a week. Other businesses that need fire and building inspections, additional zoning review, or that need to change their state sales tax account to Vineyard will take longer. Please call the City office with any questions.
What about solicitors who knock on my door? Are they supposed to be licensed?

Yes. Every solicitor must have and wear a current Vineyard Solicitor’s License badge. A Solicitor's License is required to help ensure the safety of the citizens of Vineyard. Because the licensing process requires a background check on each individual solicitor, citizens can know that those who are coming to their homes selling products or services are individuals who have had a background check.

If a solicitor knocks on your door and you cannot clearly see their Vineyard Solicitors License badge, ask to see it. Please report to the Utah County Non-Emergency Dispatch number any solicitor going door to door without a license. 801-794-3970