Commercial Businesses

Thank you for your interest in locating your business in Vineyard.  Below you will find instructions on how to apply for a Vineyard Business License.

Verify Zoning

Check with the Vineyard Planning and Zoning Department to ensure that your business type is permitted in the zone within which your site is located.  You may also apply for the business license first and our Planning and Zoning Department will review your application.

Register your Business 

The State of Utah requires that all businesses be registered with the state. Utah's OneStop Business Registration website allows you to register your business with the following agencies:
  • Utah State Tax Commission
  • Utah Labor Commission
  • Utah Department of Commerce
  • Utah Department of Workforce Services
  • Utah Department of Environmental Quality
If your business is a DBA, there is a link to register this online.

The registration process includes the following steps:
  1. Obtain Federal ID number / Employer Identification Number - You will need to get a Federal Tax ID number, also known as a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN). If you are a sole proprietor with no employees, this number is not required. The FEIN is used to identify a business entity. This is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service. You may receive this number when you register at the OneStop Online Business Registration site, or you may to to the IRS website.
  2. Acquire State Sales Tax Number - You will also be able to do this at the OneStop Online Business Registration site. If you have any questions, you may contact the Utah State Tax Commission at 800-662-4335 for assistance, or log on to their website.  If you are moving an existing business to Vineyard:  Please note that you will need to update your state business registration, including your account with the Utah State Tax Commission (if applicable).  Your state sales tax account must have a Vineyard outlet before we can issue a Vineyard Business License.


Obtain a copy of your occupational license (if applicable) to include with your Application. The Department of Professional Licensing (DOPL) regulates over 60 occupations and professions. To determine if your occupation, profession, or business is regulated by the Department of Commerce, and DOPL in particular, please see the list.

If the nature of your business is any of the following, you will need to contact the Utah County Health Department to complete their requirements and obtain the appropriate Permits:

    • Any business that serves and/or makes food or handles unpackaged foods in any way
    • Manufacture of e-liquid
    • Pools or spas that will have public access
    • Tattooing or piercing establishments
    • Tanning beds open to the public
    • Underground storage of gas for public access
    • Used oil collection sites



Complete the Commercial Business License Application and submit to the city either in person, by email, or by mail with the other required documents, including copies of any state or county permits and licenses.  During the zoning review, our Planning and Zoning Department will determine your business type, which will determine your fee.  You may pay this by cash, check, or by calling in and paying with a credit card.

All commercial businesses are required to have an initial fire inspection. Some commercial businesses also require an annual fire inspection. See the Fire Inspection Letter for information on how to contact a fire inspector with any questions and to arrange a fire inspection.

Issuing of License

After all reviews and inspections have been completed and the application has been approved, the City Recorder will issue the Vineyard Business License.